Note that assignments may be subject to minor changes.
|Blog entries (4 required – 5 points earch)||20 pts|
|Social Media Communications Evaluation||20 pts|
|Social Media plan||50 pts|
Extra credit: Additional blog entries and/or a second Social Media Communications Evaluation.
- Blog entries (5 points each, 4 required)
You will be required to write a blog entry about a tool we have explored. You will choose one tool (or you may choose to compare tools) and provide your reflection upon that tool:
- How difficult was it to use?
- What kind of information was useful?
- Do you know of something better?
- How do you see this fitting into a library or information environment?
- You will be required to both create a blog entry, and to comment on others’ blog entries. Commenting on others’ blog entries – in a thoughtful way, not just saying “great idea!” – is a required component of each of the four blog entries in order to receive full points.
- Social Media Communications Evaluation (20 points) (the idea for this assignment is from Meredeth Farkas)
You will be required to evaluate an information space, library, or an information provider (vendor, aggregator, publication) that is currently using social media as part of their communications and awareness strategy (ex. blog, Facebook page, Second Life work, LinkedIn group, YouTube, Twitter feed, etc.). You will explain what social tools they are using, how they are using them, and your opinion about the effectiveness of their usage. We will provide you with some ideas of information providers and vendors that you may want to evaluate (ex. Safari Books Online, Springer, EBSCO, Outsell, FUMSI, Library of Congress, etc.). Here are some things to consider:
- What are they doing right in their communication efforts and can be improved?
- What tools or combination of tools are they using? How do they connect the tools for effective usage?
- Do they have a person or team working with that tool for on-going conversation, responding, and communication?
- Are they engaging their audience in discussion and conversation? What types of topics do they address, discuss and are they the right topics for their audience?
- Does it seem that they get good input from their community members that could help their business / work?
- If they hired you as a social media marketing consultant, what would you suggest to them?
- Consider contacting someone at that library, information company, vendor, or publication to talk to them about their efforts.
- Social Media Plan (50 points)
Select any library or information setting: academic, public, special, corporate, school, consultancy, information vendor, publisher etc. This setting could be your workplace, or it could be any site that interests you, or one you visit frequently. Imagine that the information setting of your choice is in the process of either creating or redoing their communications, information awareness and access, and social media plans on a large scale. The goal is to prepare a social plan for the setting you chose that incorporates 2.0 technology.A comprehensive plan should address (but is not limited to) the following:
- Discuss existing technology and services currently used and offered
- Provide a needs assessment, to outline what users and stakeholders need from the technology and offerings. Note that you may need to investigate this as part of your project.
- Establish priorities for meeting those needs and provide justifications
- Create a budget proposal. As much as possible, try to find cost info from the vendors if appropriate
- Develop an implementation plan
Before starting to gather data and write along the above steps, your social media plan needs to start with the following basic components:
- A statement of the organizations mission (library, organization, vendor, ec.)
- An outline of the user population of the organization’s products and services
- Goals and objectives for the use of social tools in fulfilling the mission and serving the population
- Activities required to accomplish these goals and objectives and their cost
- Presentation of Social Media Plan to classs
- Slides for presentation
- One page summary of plan which includes important points
More information about this assignment will be covered in class.
- Participation (10 points) Participation will constitute a significant part of your participation grade. You will be expected to view all Elluminate sessions, participate in the Class Blog and groups, comment/respond to at least 2 blog entries/questions, participate in discussions, and contribute to the Twitter class session. Especially since this is an online class, it can be very easy to sit back and “lurk”. Part of what makes online communities and tools successful is active participation by ALL participants.